There has been a church on its present site in Pitcombe since the 13th century. The tower of St Leonard’s Church dates from the 15th century as do some fragments of glass in the west window and two of its bells. The naves and chancel were built between 1854 and 1858 to the design of G E Street whose work on the pew ends is particularly noteworthy.
The church was re-roofed in 2008, the original peal of three bells was augmented to a ring of six in 2013, the tenor weighing 9cwt and tuned to the key of G major. A reordering of the lighting and heating and the installation of a servery and lavatory was undertaken in 2017.
For more than 1000 years the church has been served from Bruton, first by the canons of the Augustinian Priory and latterly by the Priest in charge of the Bruton and District Benefice, although it had its own clergy from the 16th to the 20th century. It is affiliated to the Prayer Book Society and generally uses the Book of Common Prayer and the Authorised version of the Bible for services.
Following the recent updating project the church is now available for community events. It has a first class sound system and facilities for projection of illustrations and film. By the same token, the facilities also make it an ideal venue for weddings.
There are services on four Sundays in the month details of which are on the Services & Events page.
For all enquiries please contact either Churchwarden
- Philip Pidsley on 01749 813842 Email: email@example.com
or PCC Secretary
- Carole Wyatt on 01963 350222 / 07866 837759 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org